ammo for sale All commissions earned are donated directly to the Second Amendment Foundation

Saturday, October 3, 2009

How young is too young?

Nobody wants their child to get hurt.

That's a natural instinct that's most prevalent among moms and grandmothers. I don't want my children to get hurt either ..... but the 19 year-old i pretty much on his own now. The 5 year old, however I have to constantly guage my desire for her to learn about all sorts of things in life against my desire to not see her injured. I've heard it refered to as 'beneficent neglect'.

Several months ago, I pointed the wife to this video, of Gever Tully advising that there are at least 5 dangerous things you should let your kids do. I agree.

I've made no secret to my wife that as soon as she and I think she's ready, the little munchkin will be taught about firearms. I've already purchased a Daisy BB gun for her, but she knows that there are conditions to learning about it, namely, I have to be confident that she will do exactly as I tell her, when I tell her. She also has to be able to quote the 4 rules from memory and be able to explain them. When she can do this, we'll start her out .... but not until.

I saw the following post on The War on Guns this morning, and I think it has enourmous value to parents.

What do you think?

pm

No comments: