ammo for sale All commissions earned are donated directly to the Second Amendment Foundation

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Strawmen always get away

I saw this article (from a pro-gun site) and thought I'd expound a bit.

Federal, as well as some state laws, prohibit what is known as a 'straw purchase' of firearms. A straw purchase happens when a qualified buyer purchases a firearm for an prohibited person.

Now, I can understand the law, and except for my libertarianism, I can basically agree with the purpose. But the law doesn't take into account many things.

I have personally made a straw purchase. About 5 years ago, I purchased a bolt-action .22 rifle for my 14 year old son. The observant reader will note that a 14 year old is what is known as a 'prohibited person' according to federal law. But I'm almost positive that I told the counter clerk at Walmart (historically not the best-trained) that it was a gift for my son. This statement would be a clear indication of my intent to make a straw purchase. But it went through anyway.

How about the guy who buys a pink Crickett .22 for his 6 year old daughter, so she can learn safe firearms handling?

Straw purchase.

What about the woman who buys her husband a new pistol for Christmas?

Technically a straw purhase.

What about the construction supply business that gives away a shotgun at a customer appreciation breakfast?

Straw purchase.

And here's another twist. If you're the dealer, you have to mind-read to know the straw purchase from the legitimate. OK, I'll admit that there are clues (some pretty blatant) that you can see, but a sophisticated buyer? Forget it - can't be caught.

And we hear of all these straw purchases ....... how many straw purchasers are ever prosecuted?

I'm just sayin'.

pm

Link

No comments: