ammo for sale All commissions earned are donated directly to the Second Amendment Foundation

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pokey-pokey

Sometimes I try to poke Sebastian about the NRA, and sometimes I try to get information. Such was the case yesterday when I commented on this thread:

No… but there are no Republicans that pro-gun either. For the foreseeable future machine gun laws aren’t going to change substantially.

And I think that's too bad. Because I keep hearing that we're winning.

I fully understand that the NRA prefers to have favorable legislation in hand over a favorable court decision, since the courts are far less certain than congress. So why aren't they pushing the envelope?

We have won on many things recently. And on many things, the courts will have to make some folks catch up. But as I heard UJ say on a Vicious Circle once, 'when it comes to why we need to carry a firearm, we've won that argument'. Arizona just passed a no-permit concealed carry law (that's constitutional carry). 48 states have agreed that shall-issue permits are the way to go.

So why don't we start acting like we've won the argument? Why isn't the NRA pushing states like MA and CA to get with the program? I wouldn't be nearly as down on the NRA if they would develop a definite plan to fully restore the 2nd amendment, publish it, and push it. Make the top 3 items your priority until they're accomplished. Like this:
  1. No restrictions on semi-automatics or handguns of any kind, in any state.
  2. Shall-issue concealed carry in all states
  3. No-permit open carry in all states
Once you accomplish #1 (or #2), then you add a new #3 (like repealing Hughes?!). And they would naturally have to work against further encroachment, but that's expected. And I understand that there are state constitution issues in many states, but let the state NRA organizations fight for the changes.

And wouldn't that be a fitting test for some of these 'pro-gun' Dems? Have the NRA suggest that a pro-gun Dem sponsor a repeal of the Hughes amendment?
Wouldn't that be a hoot?!

I get frustrated by what I see as inaction. Yes, I realize that there is significant action (God bless you, Alan Gura!), but still.

Let's start acting like it for a change.

pm

No comments: