ammo for sale All commissions earned are donated directly to the Second Amendment Foundation

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Another thought ...

... about something Sebastian said:

... we might be able to poke enough holes in it that people who want a machine gun can get one. It just might add more hoops to jump through.

And that's the problem I have with it. We 'might', and we may have 'more hoops to jump through' above the ones we've already got.

Back in 1986, I purchased an Olympic Arms CAR-15. It was an A-1 model, with 16" barrel. At the time, my dealer was just getting into class III manufacturing, and he quoted me a very reasonable price to convert the rifle to full auto*. I elected to wait, as I was going to Marine Corps boot camp that summer.

But then came the Hughes amendment, and all that changed. When I got out of boot camp, the price of a conversion had jumped considerably. Like, out-of-my-price-range considerably.

And to date, even at my highest earning level, I never found an extra $10k to spend on what is essentially a $1500 rifle. And I can't see ever having that amount, unless I win the lottery.

But would I ever need a full auto weapon? Hmmm, I don't know, but these two folks might have.

Do I want a full auto weapon? Absolutely.

But how long would Sebastian make me wait, just so he could feel better about the NRA?

pm

*He actually suggested that I get it papered as a full-auto, with a 10" barrel and a suppressor, since at that time you didn't have to pay the $200 for each NFA item you papered.

No comments: