ammo for sale All commissions earned are donated directly to the Second Amendment Foundation

Monday, May 16, 2011

Mythbusters and suppressors

Saw it last Thursday and it was pretty good (although altogether too short!). I was a bit disappointed that Adam came to the conclusion that yes, it is plausible that the movie sound effect is close to a real suppressor, because that just reinforces the notion that you can take any gun, slap on a suppressor and be an assassin. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I'll have to give kudos to SilencerCo for being above-board about the whole thing, but it's my opinion that they could have done a bit of education while they were at it.

For instance, the unsuppressed shots they recorded, to me, sounded like subsonic rounds - and that makes sense from a safety standpoint. It's just my opinion that they could have used full power loads for the unsuppressed parts, and made note of the requirement to use subsonic rounds with the suppressors, to really show the difference. They could have also shot a couple of full power loads through the suppressor to show that there's a bit more to it than just having a suppressor.

All in all, I guess, it was a worthwhile show. Adam made a point to inform the audience that suppressors aren't assassins' tools, and that law enforcement and the military love suppressors (yeah, he could have noted that citizens also like them, because they're the neighborly thing to do). I liked the slow-motion shots on the range ... that's always cool. I basically had a good time watching.

pm

No comments: