ammo for sale All commissions earned are donated directly to the Second Amendment Foundation

Sunday, February 13, 2011

1st suppressor experience

Yeah, I busted my quiet cherry yesterday!

I went out to Liberty Cans, where they have a one-Sat-a-month try out their cans day - Bring Your Own Ammo. I took my son with me, 'cuz I need someone to pull triggers while I listen, ya know.

There were, all together, 5 other folks there looking at suppressors. Weapons that were there were a Sig P226, Walther P22, Auto Ordnance .45 and an M-16 (yeah, with a fun switch!). David Saylor also had a bolt-action rifle in .308 to show the difference between bolt guns and semi automatics. Weapons that were brought to Liberty were AR-15's; one in .223 and one in .308.

First weapon to get fired was the .308 AR. David had his dB meter set up because he likes to get data on different weapons.

First shot - 142 dB! Now, dB charts are mostly worthless, but to me, it sounded like a .22 rifle loaded with Stingers. That's a .308.

Wow - I had no idea. Then David took the last round and fired it into the ground and showed us that within about 10 feet, there isn't even a sonic crack (the sonic envelope doesn't have time to develop). That last round was downright tolerable.

I had no idea.

Then my son loaded up the Walther, the 226 and the .45. Impressive results. If it weren't for the light 9mm rounds I brought, the 226 would've sounded a lot better.

The .22 sounded like a bb gun.

So now I'm trying to work out funding for a Liberty Cans Essence of Liberty .22 can. 4 oz of titanium, cleanable quality.

I'm very fortunate to live in the same area as Liberty, and that I have an opportunity to talk to the man himself.

pm

No comments: