ammo for sale All commissions earned are donated directly to the Second Amendment Foundation

Friday, June 10, 2011

Jennifer wants to know ...

... how you became a gunnie.

That's a good question, for us all.

I really became a gunnie in the mid-80's, after I had been on my own for a while. My parents were both liberals, and though they had a handgun at one time, when I came along, they gave it back to my grandfather - they didn't think it was safe to be around a baby and all.

My grandfather had firearms, but the only one I ever shot was his pellet gun. A family friend let me and my brother shoot a .22 in his basement (I'm pretty sure it was loaded with shorts).

Then in the mid-80's, I got involved somewhat in centerfire silhouette shooting. I borrowed a Colt 1908 .380 from my boss to shoot my first match. A girl I worked withs' husband took me out to Chattanooga Rifle Club and let me shoot several weapons, including a sweet S&W .44 Mag.

I was hooked.

Started collecting a few things (no revolvers), up to about 12 guns of different kinds, including an Olympic Arms CAR-15 with A1 sights. I was even going to get it converted to full-auto after I got back from boot camp (this was right when FOPA and that bastard Hughes came along).

My collection dwindled down to nothing in the years after I got back from boot camp. Got an FFL right before I got sent to Desert Storm, but never really did anything with it.

When I got married, I owned no firearms, but I bought a Marlin .22 bolt gun for my son. Made a desperation purchase of an FAL when Obama got elected, and an FEG Hi-power clone shortly after - got my GA carry permit.

And here I am. I am a 2nd amendment absolutist - I believe that citizens should be able to own and carry whatever they want (and I mean whatever - you want to carry an M-60, be my guest). I believe that the 2nd amendment is very clear in its meaning. And I believe that if you use a weapon as a tool in the commission of a crime, it should have no bearing on your punishment as to what weapon you used - your punishment should be based on the crime.

I hope this helps!

pm

No comments: