ammo for sale All commissions earned are donated directly to the Second Amendment Foundation

Monday, May 10, 2010

More reasonable enforcement

Saw this at Unc's place ... he linked to the video at Reason's web site:



Now, besides this being what I think is waaay overkill, they didn't get anywhere near the amount of maryjane they were expecting (just a personal amount-misdemeanor), the warrant was old, there was a child in the house, and no one resisted (that I could tell).

But I'd like to fisk a comment from over at Uncle's site, one from a commenter going by the name of 'The Cop':
As a cop, I find this disgraceful.
So do I, and so do most reasonable, thinking individuals. Not only that, many probably think it's legally actionable.
I think that one person, just one, should have thought to bring maybe rubber bullets, or even a BONE for the dog if they knew about it, which they most likely did.
Now you're making me think maybe you're not a cop at all. Rubber bullets? Going after a hard-core dangerous drug dealer, a dealer who probably has AK-47's and Uzi's and 9-mils lying around everywhere?

And a bone ... a fucking BONE for the dog! Even 007 would spring for a steak to lure a dog away, but then again, that was for stealthy infiltration type spy stuff, not going after eeeevil drug traffickers and death-merchants.
The police however,did most of the right things in The Raid.
Now we come to the nitty-gritty! "I find this disgraceful .... however". What you mean is "Yeah, but" .... which means 'No', you just don't say 'No'.

I have no doubt that the officers involved ill be found to have followed to-the-letter their departments' policies. And have no fear, when IA takes a look, they'll conclude that given the situation, with 2 vicious, aggressive dogs in the house, and all those drug dealers ..... I suppose they can be excused for little .... exhuberence.

Two weeks' paid vacation ..... so the poor babies can, ya know, decompress.
They acted quickly
Quickly getting into dude's house you mean ..... they started knocking at :32 secs and busted the door at :43 secs. I don't know about you, but i don't answer my fucking cell phone that quickly, let alone someone pounding at my door, yelling words that I may not understand right away. In fact, if I don't understand and you start breaking down my door, you'll most likely come in to a lot of bullets.
read the rights
Yeah, they started asking for a Miranda card at 3:29 (what, can't they fucking memorize the warning, like I did in less than a minute?) and started reading the card they finally found (they're right on top of things!) at 3:40.
kept the child away from harm,
While they were shooting things in the house (those vicious dogs).
and most importantly arrested the suspect.
Must keep our priorities straight .......
The dog, however, could’ve been handled a lot differently.
Amazing as it might seem, I'm not sure that the dogs could have been handled differently. Given that the officers were just following orders, they did what they're trained to do. Drug raid teams can't have a dog-dummy there to keep animals occupied, but what we as citizens can do is start holding police departments accountable for restitution for the loss of the animal. Maybe even a cost + a bit of a fine, especially if police raid the wrong house.
Police are here to help though, and most find them as enemies. We serve to Protect.
I've long since given up on that ... as I see it, police are there to enforce the laws, whether the 'laws' help anyone or not
Who knows from this video maybe while high the guy beat the kid? And maybe even gave the Kid drugs? Who knows. But now the Kid can be put in a better home.
A logical, thinking individual would then ask 'Why wasn't he charged with beating his child, or giving him drugs?' And as far as I can tell, the only danger to the kid due to the his dad having a little pot on hand was the jackboot-wearing thugs with badges.

Certainly was bad for the dogs.

pm

No comments: